I’m sure you are concerned as I am about the coronavirus outbreak in our community. The first McHenry County case was reported on March 9th. As a small community, we depend on our County Health Department and State and Federal Agencies for reliable information that can best protect us at this time. I want to forward you some web sites for information on the coronavirus outbreak.
The Illinois Department of Public Health offers a telephone hotline and an email address where you can ask questions. Hotline: 1(800) 889-3931, Email: DPH.SICK@ILLINOIS.GOV
The Federal Center for Disease Control has a wealth of information, including how to protect the most vulnerable among us: the elderly and those with existing underlying health conditions. For further information, I highly recommend the page linked directly below as well as the general CDC web site.
You will find that all these sites recommend that you take everyday precautions to prevent illness, including colds and flu.
- Get a flu shot — it’s not too late.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Dry thoroughly.
- Or use a 60% alcohol based sanitizing gel.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick, and cover coughs and sneezes.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects. Doorknobs, cellphones, counter tops, steering wheels, etc.
- Avoid large crowds in confined spaces especially if you are elderly and/or have an underlying health condition.
- Practice social distancing
These sites are updated regularly and are your best source for information. Please take care to protect yourself and those around you.
As I was writing this, I received information from the McHenry County’s Emergency Management Department indicating that a Disaster Proclamation was signed by Chairman Jack Franks on March 11, 2020. This will facilitate rapid decision making and access to resources from the State and Federal Governments.
Bull Valley – Village President
(Updated: March 13, 2020)